Monday, September 1, 2008

Featured Artist: HightowerBotanicals


This is another item I ran across using Etsy's Pounce feature. It grabbed me because when I was in gradeschool I walked to and from school most days and along my route were several trees that dropped piles of these seed pods.


Julee of Hightower Botanicals is the artist behind this pretty pendant. When asked about it she said, "This Maple tree seed pod is a favorite of mine because as a child I played with the seed pods by pulling them apart and sticking them on my nose! And also of course, throwing them off of high places so they'd spin down to the grown like a helicopter."

Julee grew up in Washington state before going to art school in Brooklyn, New York. She currently works as an artist's assistant and makes huge casted and fabricated sculptures in many materials. She sees her jewelry work as miniature sculpture and especially enjoys working with plants and herbs.

2 comments:

Tia Colleen said...

You know what, I used to see those little things when I was walking to and from my bus stop all the time. I hadn't thought about that in years. Especially now that I live way out in Texas where theres cactus and not trees, haha. But I really enjoyed this post, it took me down memory lane :)

xx Tia

rose AKA Walk in the Woods - she/her said...

Julee does lovely work - indeed!